R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
lbenton
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
The 22 front wheel is slightly narrower. The yellow wheel shown is a TLR-22 front, the white wheel is an HB D413 front.

Ty uses PL #2734-04
http://prolineracing.com/wheels/velo...hite-wheels-22

The reason I chose the 22's offset is because it has a flat dish compared to the typical 4WD wheel which has a convex dish. The convex dish makes the wheel nut stick out further past the tire making it more prone to getting snagged on track pipes/borders. Also when going through tech the max width includes the wheel nuts so with the convex shaped dish you end up with a narrower front track width (center line distance between the two front tires) from the same maximum width (wheel nut to wheel nut).
Originally Posted by yzracer758
Straight from Torrance:

For the rear it has 12mm hexes. It is compatible with all the usual 12mm hex rear wheels (AE, Kyosho, TLR, PL, JC, AKA, etc.)

For the front the kit includes BOTH 12mm and 9.8mm hexes. The included HB wheels uses the 12mm hex. The included 9.8mm hexes are compatible with the TLR-22 2WD buggy front wheels.

That's not a typo - the offset compatibility is with the 2WD TLR-22 front which PL, JC, and AKA have versions of. The usual 4WD fronts from the major wheel companies can be made to fit but the hex fit will be a little tight and the front total track width will end up a little narrow. for some reason the hex on the TLR-22 is 9.8mm and the rest of 4WD wheels are 9.5mm. Why there's a 0.3mm difference between the 2WD and 4WD i don't know. The wheel offsets are different as well but during the design phase I studied all the available wheels and I preferred the TLR-22 offset.

I am near to having everything but the car gathered up now, just ordered some tires today but held off on the wheels which having those would only leave paint to be bought next. I do have TLR22 buggy wheels to spare at home already, so I guess the way to go is to build it with the 9.8mm front hexes and then use TLR wheels all the way around.

Has anybody else given this part much thought? If I put the 4wd front tire on a 2wd TLR 22 wheel will it round up the tread of the tire by putting it on a narrower wheel or is the difference small enough to not really matter? What about the 22-4 front wheel, will it play into this as an option?

Or should I just use the 12mm fronts and go with HB wheels?

Blind guessing right now as I wait.