R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ko Propo VFS-1 ESC
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Hebiki
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by ashto
Hi,
I had a bad day today as Ive been running the ko 2000j speedie for a while now and its been great but today at my local club day i went to have my second qualifier in modified touring and as i took off down the straight my car ran out of control and hit a board at full speed.Much damage was caused and the speedie fried. I have been running the large capasitor and had the ko factory high speed open track setting, I also was running the diode on it as well. The speedie has never given me any problems as i have had it in my 1/12 scale and it was working great. I was woundering if i could get any help with an address or some info on why it would have done this. I also checked weather anyone was using the same frequncy as me but not one person was. I also checked all of my other gear and was it fine. After all this i tried to conenct the speedie back up and as soon as i connected it to the battery the motor went at full speed. This is befor i even turned the speedie on. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
ashto.. and rick.. ive had this happen to me, but it was from a bad crash/hit. i was talking to Robert from Ko and Steve from speedtech and they said what usually happens is this.

you hit something and the force of the impact causes the different boards in the esc (think of them like motherboards on a computer) to move and touch. once they touch. YOUR TOAST. they will short each other out and cause the esc to get fried. the next time you plug it in, it'll do exactly what you said. it'll just keep the motor on full throttle. ive had this happen to my twice. once with a bad t-bone hit. the other was when someone plugged in the esc wrong. (pos. esc wire into the neg plug on the battery.)

so with that in mind, i understand that the esc will not be covered under manu. warranty because its not a defect. the esc was damaged while in use, granted it was proper use, but someone hitting you is a risk we all take.

oh one more thing.. i guess its kinda of unavoidable with the boards touching and shorting in a hard crash. but companies are always trying to make their esc's smaller and faster. the trade off is, in a hard crash, there is less room. and these types of things are more likely to happen.