R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
j.d.roost
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I don't remount my servo...it is glued to the chassis with shoe goo and I just use some thin double stick tape on the sides for support. I just peel the mounts off and move them up or down with the plate. To me it is much easier than fussing with the bell crank height every time I want to change ride height. How often do we change ride height anyway? Once we get it set we pretty much don't touch it again unless we switch brands of tire.

Everything moves together when you move the plate with the servo mounts so you don't have to change a thing on the upper arms. If you change the ride height using the arms you then would need to re-shim the upper arms as well since only the front upper arm mount moves with the arms.

For me moving the plate with servo mounts is a much more logical system since the whole suspension moves together. What SP should have done was tie the rear upper arm mount to the plate instead of the servo mount...then ride height adjustments would be very straight forward.
Just got done building a roller. With the stock settings the front sits like a monster truck with rubber tires.
Trying to get the front under 4mm ride height is going to take a bunch of shims.I was worried about using more than 4mm under the arms or 3mm under the knuckles...as I am not sure what it does to the upper arm geometry. Shimming the plate seems like the most logical approach. EVERYTHING. .gets moved but the servo.
I assume you shim the backside of the servo holder the same amount you shim the plate?

Also.. will I run into any issues with the servo horn being " too low" now that everything else is that high off the chassis?