R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
BHammer002
Tech Initiate

I came across something tonight many veteran racers will probably say they have known for quite a while - but I especially think it is true with this car. I have always raced stock buggy where the name of the game, in order, really is weight control, proper racing lines, and a good setup. In and out of the hobby for over two decades this has been my class of choice. I mentioned before thinking this buggy really didn't like a stock motor. Mainly due to its greater base weight. Of course that could be managed, but I thought it was just begging for a modified motor and I have had the itch to move up to the mod class anyway where weight control is not of such importance. I put a 10.5 in and ran for about a week. The difference was great. The car really responded well. But I still had the feeling the motor size was in between and I got the either do it all the way or dont do it at all feeling. So tonight was the first time with an 8.5. The car is astounding. Now I still would be in the lower ranks of a normal local modified driver pool coming from the upper ranks of stock, but wow this thing is awesome.

I am sure a very good stock class configuration will be put together, but it drives like a dream now. Actually, I think a 7.5 is probably perfection, but many of the thought to be tuning issues just dissappeared. For me, it proved my overall theory these cars are just designed to be driven with more than a stock motor. Not that stock cannot be done well, but wow what a difference. Now I just have to get smooth.........

(really not bashing the stock class because that is still where my heart is and I still run it with the B4, but just saying this car loves the added power in the current configurations)