R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Brushed vs Brushless
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I dont believe in "equivilency" charts at all. 17.5 (blinky) is WAY faster than 27t ever was. Part of that is addition of 8.4 lipo. That is equal to running a 7 cell nicd/nimh from back in the day. So with the battery factored in in its more like a 1.5 turn drop. IE 27T brushed=25.5 brushless, and 19T Brushed = 17.5 brushless. At least thats the way it feals on the track. And dont forget to add the fact that you dont loose power durring a run due to the way high mah and c ratings that batteries now offer. And for those thaf miss the "old brushed days" you must have only bashed where it didnt matter about new brushes or clean comms. I remember having multiple springs and compound brushes for fixed timing classes all cut with different faces to getnthe most out power out of them. And a cutting the comm every few races. I absolutely love brushless and lipo and would never go back.
I agree in general, however, I would point out one thing I learned about batteries when we made the transition to LiPo. At the time we all began to switch over, I was using Novak's Sentry data logger, that can read motor rpm(& use it with rollout to calculate actual speed of the car during a run), motor temps, amp draw, & battery voltage & it's PC program could display the data in realtime once it's loaded onto your PC, & I found that on average, 2S LiPo's would actually start at about 8.2V & would average 8V throughout the course of a run, while NiMh's would actually start with more(more like 8.6V for a 6-cell pack), but would drop off more & faster, averaging more like 7.7V over the course of a run(& I tested this with the same car with the same motor & setup, only changing the battery from one run to the next). However, I think your thoughts on Brushless motors is just about dead on....