R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 AM
marcos graveyar
Tech Regular

Had a very frustrating days racing at our indoor series on Saturday. Set TQ for round 1 and then failed to finish rounds 2 and 3 and each of the 3 A Final legs.

My car runs Spektrum radio/micro receiver, Savox 1251MG servo, Teu105Bk ESC, Sport Tuned Black Can motor, 7.2V 3700mah NiMh cells. I run a 3Racing Motor cooling fan from the Aux port of the receiver and have a glitch buster plugged into the bind port.

In Round 2 the car stopped after 290 seconds, no forward/reverse power but front wheels were able to steer, the ESC and Motor were hot. The gearbox had started to make a noise so before leg 3 I stripped it and found some bent teeth on the intermediate gear, replaced it and rebuilt it.
This time the car only ran for 100 seconds before stopping, after 40 secondss rest it started responding again but only went for a further 75 seconds. A fellow racer measured the temp of the motor/esc at 61 degrees.

For the first leg of the Finals I changed the Esc to a TEU104BK , the car stopped after 130 seconds, rested for 60 seconds and then ran for 70 seconds before coming to a halt again, each time this happens the steering is still working.
I changed the motor for leg 2, car stopped after 120 seconds. ESC/Motor temp 53 deg.
For the last leg of the final I changed to my spare car, It's SWB instead of LWB with same radio set up, savox 1256, 105ESC, no glitch buster, no fan.
I ran the original motor from the qualifying. Got as far as lap 17 and after 245 seconds the car stopped again.

Many of the guys racing use a similar setup to mine yet I was the only one who had any problem during the day. The same car has been faultless throughout the 9 previous rounds of the championship at the same venue this year.

Any thoughts ?