R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons

I'm pretty tight most corners and a decent FTQ, but it did seem a touch slidey on 'that' 180 last night. I tried rolling off early, staying out wide etc. I've got the wide tower and in the outer hole too, 450cst on blue short springs up front, -1 arms. Maybe I just need to practise on that one!
First, what's a FTQ?????

Funny thing about Minis, they all seem to go faster with a softer spring up front and a harder spring in back. This is just my opinion, but the short Mini springs are all too stiff----that includes the white ones that come with the TRF shocks. That blue spring you have up front should make your car understeer like crazy.

Couple of other things you could try. Start adjusting your toe out. Sounds like you're running too much. Lower your front ride height or raise the back. These two adjustments will make your car "steer" better-----but unfortunately, not always.

Nah, if your car won't turn, driving practice isn't going to make it turn any better. I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like you base set up is off a bit. It sounds like it's too stiff, too much toe out and too wide. Ride height is probably level. Diff may also be a bit stiff. It sounds as if your car is easy to drive, but your results come from driving talent. Your car's not helping you.