R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Associated Rival Monster Truck Thread
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
dustin4141
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LearningBrushle
I bought the Rival in Williston.
Like I said, I am a die hard Nitro guy. Bought Electric so I wont have to deal with tuning issues based on weather. I have run the Rival in single digit temps w/o issue.
I liked the fact the Rival was based on a Nitro truck that came out 10 years or so ago.

I just need to figure out this whole brushless lipo business.

I watched videos of 6s lipo's in the Rival, stupid fast. Looks totally like unuseable power. Looks like broken driveline parts, so 6s for me is out of the question.

Is there going to be a difference in performance going from 8.4 mimh to 2s lipo?
Since it does not seem like you are getting an answer about the batteries, I signed up for an account so I can help you out. Sorry Cody01, I guess you were quicker!

To answer your question; yes there will be a large difference in performance going from 8.4V nimh to 2s lipo. The amperage that lipo's can put out blows nimh's away. Without getting into a whole lot of detail, nimh can put out about 21 amps continuous, while the lipos will do about 390 amps (and thats not even the burst current). Another benifit is less weight (about 1/2 pound with a pair of lipos).

Associated Reedy WolfPack NiMH 7C 8.4V 3000 Stick from TowerHobbies:
7C x 3000 mAh (3.0 Ah) = 21 Amps x 16.8V (8.4V x 2) = 353 Watts
The 7C is based on Tower's description. 7C reads 7 x capacity, where capacity is 3000 MAh.

Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack from HobbyKing:
65C x 6000mAh (6.0 Ah) = 390 Amps x 14.8V (7.4V x 2) = 5772 Watts
All this proves is that the lipos put out alot more power than the NiMH and more than enough for whatever ESC can pull. Associated does not post amp draw specs for RTR motors and ESC's, so I have always just not worried about it and kept an eye on the motor and ESC temps until I was happy with my gearing.

I started looking at Rival stuff today (which lead me here) since I am thinking about using the stretched chassis and transmission for my already converted Monster GT (I call it a Monster ET now). I might be able to post a picture if this forum lets me, I will try that too.

Last edited by dustin4141; 02-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.