R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Arizona 12th scale only baby!!
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM
DesertRat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
There was a sentence in the Post when they first announced SRS was going indoor that mentioned asphalt racing but i would assume that would be the last thing they are looking into at this point. On Road has just never been anything that Phoenix gets into besides HT Gilbert. I think SRS had a great track and no matter what they did it never caught on. I think taking jumps on dirt and shocks with springs looks cooler than a fast 12th scale or touring car. If we could change the mentality of going fast without jumps they might get interested. Twitchyness and setup gets a guy frustrated when he can't get the car to go straight and make a fast turn... my2 cents
Thanks for the update on the Super HobbyTown.

I understand 1/12 scale racing is hard to get into and has little appeal for someone who also wants to run their rc car around the neighborhood for fun. An offroad car with a terrible setup can still drive around a track while if your setup in 1/12 scale is way off you're gonna have a real tough time... But I have raced both quite a lot and actually done fairly well at each. For me the appeal of onroad racing is you gain your thrill from the other competitors instead of a few semi-controlled crashes per lap called 'jumps.' I've raced entire mains where the top two cars are never separated by more than a half second.

It's also the cheapest racing I've ever done. $50 buys three sets of tires mounted on the rims, and I've raced a set of 1/12 scale tires 1500 racing laps. Bodies are 11 bucks, you'll never burn a motor, the cars are durable and if you do break it most replacement parts are under five bucks. Even if buying a rug separates me from a few c-notes and we get a stable place to race, I'm still money ahead.

When we get a rug anybody who wants to race a road car for a weekend should can race one of mine. It goes straight and isn't twitchy any more than is necessary to make it turn...