R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF418
Thread: Tamiya TRF418
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 AM
narcotiks
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
So I've found the difference between the shims under the inner ball stud are very crucial on carpet. At 0-1mm on Sweeps I traction roll. 1.5-2.0 the car is very unstable if you hit a dot. At 3-4mm the car becomes very stable and very forgiving. When your in a great setup window a .5mm difference can be huge. So if Sean is running a 4mm shim he may be on high bite carpet.

I don't know Sean's grip level at his track but his setup for our track which is low/medium traction seems a little pushy but very stable. It's a fantastic base setup and highly recommend it as a starting point. As all tracks are different in grip no one setup is perfect but you can take that setup almost any where.

I will finalize my setup this week but it's not all that different. But it does use the stock springs as I didn't want to use anything else at first. I just have a few more things to try till my setup is final. This is a baseline for Sweep 32's for Nats if I can go.
Have you guys tried taking out the 0.5 shims from under the blocks and running 0mm-1mm on the inner ball stud?
Reason i ask is, on the 417, 3mm-4mm worked best on the inner ballstud, but the 418 with no shims on the inner ballstud is at the same height as 3.5mm on the 417.
I've been running on medium/high grip asphalt and found that marc's BIRC setup works really well. Changed the car heaps but keep going back to BIRC setup. When the grip is lower, no shims under the blocks works really well, with no shims on the upper link. In higher grip conditions, 0.5 under the blocks and 0mm or 1mm under the upper link feels best.