R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speedmerchant Rev 8
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 AM
Herminator
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herminator
Day one of the MK National over.
1st in the E final for me.
Car was ok, but I had to try minimise grip roll most of the day and drive within my limits.

Ulti X-Compound, hard front 40.5mm, medium rear 43.5mm I started with larger tyres but had to come down to reduce grip roll, fronts are glued on the edge
0.18 front springs
kit, or one softer than kit side springs, I can't quite remember now
12,000 cst (same as green sppoge) in side dampers (could do with a refill tomorrow)
30wt center shock with associated blue spring
just over 1mm droop on rear pod
additive was on for about 8 minutes rear, 6 minutes front for the final run, wiped off 8 minutes before running, this was reduced from qualifying and an improvement, I'll go for less time tomorrow
Protoform AMR shell.
ride height 3.8mm, any lower and the tape joints cause problems

the car feels stuck in the groove at times, hard to attack corners with speed, but keeps rotating out of corners- this isn't helped by the carpet being laid on top of carpet.
I got my setup wrong,
it's 0.18 side springs, kit front springs.

Sunday showed signs of promise with a slight reduction of tyre size, finding a safe ride height and playing with soak times improving the handling but I never managed a clear run. Qualified 9th in the D with another lap easily possible if not more.
I had over geared and under additived in qualifying, so sorted that for the final. I had a decent start but got taken out by a buddy in the third corner got back into the race and after a couple of laps found myself chasing down Russ in 4th with his Rev8, as he was stuck behind 3rd. The car was going the best it had all weekend and I started to drive properly. Then it all went to pot and the back end started snapping around on right handers, a few laps later I had a crash where the aerial snapped and left the body propped up on it. After two marshals faffed around trying to put my car down on the track with the shell dragging at the front it was time to retire. Disappointing ending to a frustrating weekend, but the event was great.