R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th scale spec tire
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I'm just thinking outside the box here. So, don't bust my balls on this idea.

To keep away from the whole idea of using spec tires. Why not continue with running what ever tire you choose, but set a minimum trued tire diameter i.e 42.5 front and 43.5 rear for qualifying. This would eliminate "one run" tire issues and would extend the longevity of the tire for another heat(s)/main(s).

Heres the idea in a little more detail.

All racers are allowed to bring 3 full sets of an agreed upon tire diameter. Example 42.5 front and 43.5 rear. Now, from my understanding, the first couple heats the carpet is still relatively "green". So running slightly larger diameter tires shouldn't cause serious traction rolling issues.

The racer must use all 3 sets of their minimum trued tires in their respective heats. One set can be used for practice, and that "practice set" can only be reused again in their 2nd qualifying heat.

Now, once the racer has used a set in their qualifying heat or practice, the tires will be marked. This mark indicates that the tires can be trued down to a smaller diameter of their choosing or on an agreed diameter.

The idea here is to control the starting diameter which allows racers to get in a few more runs off of a set of new tires. This should help in reducing costs and still keep the class competitive for the mains.
+1 to oeoeo327. For every good idea anyone ones up with, ask yourself if you would stay all day in tech to police it, and if it can policed by checking ten cars in eight minutes. And don't forget that you also have to check all the performance-related items too - width, motors, cells, 'blinky' speedo, etc. Can you do all that in 50 seconds per car? And will you sit there doing it all day? If the answer to either is no, please think again.

Why this fixation with spec tyres for LMP12? I have two compounds in my box for each end and have never failed to find a combo that works at every meeting I go to. If at one track you want to help drivers, pick the compound that works and only allow that.

I can't imagine how long the class would last if people and to go a meeting only to find the spec tyre doesn't work and they have to drive an animal of a car all day.

If it was such a good idea with so many people clamouring for it, someone would have done it by now!