R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th scale spec tire
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
corallyman
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
Maybe a moderator can combine this thread with the old one...

I both Love and hate the idea of a spec tires in 12th scale.

I love the idea of tire tuning. It's always been a key part of 12th scale racing and its part of what makes it interesting.

HOWEVER...as a privateer, i.e. someone who buys all of my tires from Stormer, Amain, etc...the expense for running big races is ludicrous. I don't club race and only attend a few medium/big trophy races a year. For example...I ran the US indoor champs last year. I used probably 6 sets of tires over the weekend. At a minimum, you probably need 2 front compounds (lets say...black and chrome) and 2 rear compounds (Graylow and Green). At retail prices, 12 sets of tires is ~$275! And the reality is, you probably are going to bring more than 2 front and 2 rear compounds so your tire budget can easily exceed that.

At this point, I'm probably going to switch to a TC class for a while at least for big races where the most I can spend on tires is $75-90/event.

Just my .02....
But the fact that you are admitting that you need two types of tires, front and rear is why spec'ing a 12th scale car is a bad idea. They are little land missiles and need to be tuned to each track and driver style.

WGT as it stands now is a bigger, more stable and slower car to drive so the spec tire works as is.

Btw, some people who have raced big events have said that they took the same known tires and it worked for them.

Also, big races tend to be expensive anyways.