R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
metalnut
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
You're right. I guess "soft" is not exactly the right word. It's one of those conditional compromises. Usually one of those decisions we make and then don't have to change much once we get our cars driveable at our local track. The surface doesn't change much and we only require minor dialing for traction. Going under 10 in/lb is too soft and going over 13 in/lb for the center spring generally is too hard in my opinion. I think the stock spring for the SP-1 is just over 11. I'm happy with the stock spring and adjust with oil to change rebound speed. My F1R is the red Tamiya 11.2 spring and response is similar. Both cars have a ton of steering and I usually have to dial out some steering. Small steps one way or the other and a 1/2 in/lb on the spring rate is usually enough.
Hm... the softest spring that I have is the Spec-R 2.5, which is rated around 14.5 lbs by RSD. I tried a Tamiya yellow but it didn't fit the SP shock and I didn't have an adapter. I think the AE springs may fit correctly, but I'm now thinking of going back down to the 2.5. The 3.0 is around 18/19lbs I think, so I may be way overdoing it there.