R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - how to tune in your car correctly
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc car guy
well i was kind of expecting that answer but in a more detailed way, ive read through about a dozen set up "guides" and all ive found are what each change should do... haha i realize that some set up changes in the car contradict each other yes the tc 6.2 is still fairly new to the market and no one around me drives one that i know of so im kind of stuck trying find a way to set up my car properly, other guys at the track are geniuses in tc but i bother them enough so i bother you nice people instead ... haha also kevens set up online for tc are for mod, and for higher traction tracks and tracks that are not so technical and the ones run on are technical small lower traction and race 17.5 blinky so finding help online for this is kind of troublesome and i do the best i can with what i can i hope
It sounds like the problem you're facing isn't knowing what change does what, but rather just kbowing what you want from the car to go faster. And that just takes a lot of practice.

One thing that really helps is video. If you can get video of the fast guys, and video of yourself, you should be able to see where you are losing time against them. Then you go out and try to emulate their lines and speeds more closely. When you fail to do so, think about why. Does the car lack grip? Is turn in too sluggish? Are you lacking forward bite? Is it pushing wide on exit? Once you figure that out, that's where you can actually start trying to use the setup guides to make changes.

EDIT: As others have said, kit setups are generally good (although I thought the TC6.1 setup was crap for carpet). The changes you should be looking at are droop, spring rates, shocj angles, camber, shock oils, and dual rate. Start with droop and shock oil. The goal is to make the car easier for you to drive consistently. If you haven't got consistency, you won't be able to evaluate other changes.

-Mike