R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Tommy R
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I can't speak for others, but I can tell you my reasons for hoping the Tekin Spec passes all the tests and is approved. Reliability. I did a bunch of research before buying my first USVTA ESC and decided on the Hobbywing. I bought a second one for a different car.

In both instances I've had some odd reliability issues. Sometimes the speed of the car would fall off. With *no* load and WOT, the car would really slowly accelerate to top speed. Power it off/on and it would be back to normal. I've also had it lose power until being turned off/on again. With reverse enabled, I've had it engage a delay as I enter a corner. No biggie as I've since turned reverse off, but I've never had this problem with a "higher end" ESC. There's been other instances like this over the past year. Furthermore, I've been disappointed in the strength of the drag brake on the Justock.

These issues aren't the end of the world, but it shows an inconsistency in quality. I could try a Novak, but I've always had better performance with Tekin (which power most of my other cars). Not to mention most of the Novaks I've seen are large and real estate on my cars is at a premium.

So there you have it. My *personal* reasons for wanting a "high end" option available.

That being said, if the Tekin Spec is proven to have an advantage in overall performance compared to the others, I would NOT want it approved. I'm looking for better quality and maybe tuneability, not outright performance.