Thread: Schumacher Mi5
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 04:22 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Three o-ring in the diff made mine stop leaking

Could see on your setup sheet, that you are using double o-rings on your shocks. Did you then remove the white spacer, and installed a extra o-ring instead ?
Does it work, so they don't leak ?
I find the car has better traction with double o-ring shocks, so always build my shocks this way now. You do need to remove the plastic spacer, and actually add some thin 4mm diameter washer as well. I've found about 0.4mm seems to work well in terms of total thickness, when using the Tamiya blue o-rings (again personal preference).
I would say that if your using just a single O-ring, I would still add some shims in at the same time, especially if the shocks are leaking from the bottom. The blue o-rings give much less friction, but also don't quite seal against the shafts as well, hence the leaking. Adding some shims puts a little bit more pressure on the o-ring, and helps it seal better.

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Ed,

I see you have changed your ackermann rack into a "8mm center ball rack" Do you have some pics? What's the difference between the kit rack?

Best Regards Robert
Hey Robert,

Picture of the rack is attached below. The centre ball setup helps to improve the ackerman (especially when used with different Ackerman plates) and also helps the front to roll a little better, as the links don't bind up as much when the suspension is compressed whilst turning. I should add these are custom made parts, not sure if Schuey will be releasing their own version any time soon or not.

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	1159767