R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
old carpet rcr
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bluegroovelosi
The surface at HobbyPLEX here in Omaha varies from tacky to dry as a bone. You can check out the J Concepts National event videos HERE.

I'm newly back to this hobby after about a decade break. I used to own the local indoor off road facility but gave it up for various other business pursuits. Several of the "kids" who raced at my track are still in fine form - including the race director at the HobbyPLEX, Alex Sturgeon, who is currently at the Reedy Race in California.

The SPC packs have all the punch and capacity I need for normal 6 minute qualifiers and 10 minute mains, with a weight savings of over 6 ounces. At my age and skill level, I need all the advantage a bottomless checkbook can offer. LOL! The HobbyPLEX track blue grooves up very quickly and we're using worn out Handlebars with virtually no center tread by the end of the rounds.

After 4 months of weekly driving, I'm just now getting the hang of it again. I'd rather be consistently a bit slower than constantly being in 'crash and recover' mode. Our monthly Winter Series for 1/8th scale is next weekend, so we'll see how these changes work out.

Robert Conner
Omaha, Nebraska
Most people seem happy with the SMC batteries. Our track is the same, tacky to dry. I've been using the ions soft compound. I have handle bars in super soft, and wishbones in clay. My wishbones are almost bald in the middle, and handle bars are almost new. Last time out my back end was washing out easily after landing a jump and going into a turn. Someone suggested moving my pack back a pad or 2 but I think my roll center is too loose. My rear tires are wearing more to the outside. All my proline tires been doing this on both my 3.0 buggies. Adam Drake said try more camber but I'm already at -2. Going to run my AKA tires and see what happens. I've been out of this hobby for 26yrs, I ran 12th scale mod on carpet. I remember being better, guess my reflexes are slower. Which reminds me about some posts a few pages back. This buggy is pretty durable, I've spent more time on the body than the wheels than I'd like to admit but I haven't broken one wing!