R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Rolling - how to solve it
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
The physics involved is you dramaticaly lowered the center of gravity and altered the balance of your car. So with a given setup, the suspension had to work more to transfer the additional weight. Also that weight was added as low as possible thus making it harder for one side or the other to lift.

As basic as it can be described you changed the amount of force required to lift a weight on a simple lever with the fulcrum being the wheels.
Yes..for sure it lowers the over all CG in this case at the front of the car.

I would also add the following

1) since the weight was added at the front of the car this will make the car slide more at the front (i.e. push) when near the limit and actually cause more oversteer when not near the lateral limits of the tires (a good example can be the middle of a slow tight corner)

2) Reducing traction rolling has a lot to do with getting both ends of the car to roll into the carpet the same amount. if the car was traction rolling because the front of the car would would not roll into the carpet as much as the rear, then adding the weight can help this.

3) In general I don't recommend adding weight to the car unless you are under the min weight limit, as additional weight will ultimately produce less lateral grip, less acceleration and less braking = slower laptimes.

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Sorry to hear about your accident Martin.... Real Car races are too dangerous for my liking, and I drive too many cars anyway(100+ per day for the last 18years).... Rc works way better... Hope you'll Rc race again...
Good call. That danger was the reason I did not do this when I was younger...but as I got older, I still wanted to do it, and figured if I don't do this now I will never do it.

Originally Posted by elee32
How about ca gluing the sidewalls. Never do it off the bat, but once my car starts to feel a little tippy, this is my first fix.
In rare and extreme cases this is a route to take. I used to do this before I figured out other techniques to reduce traction rolling. The issue with glue is that is too difficult to add a consistent amount of glue on each tire, and the glue comes off...making it a long day of chasing setups.

Originally Posted by dan_vector
I too have your app on my iPhone. I couldn't find it for a while for some reason but glad its back now!! Brilliant app and for the amount of info within is very cheap... Thanks also for the blog entries which are very helpful reads!
Yeah..it was not available on the apple store for a while, because I was not aware you needed to buy a developer license every year to be able to sell an app on the app store. So it was not available for a few weeks late in 2013.