R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - cut gears in stock class???
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM
TJ Hart
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
People complain about how stock is now. LOL! Sounds like you can relate.

10 years ago i was rebuilding and putting my stock motor on a lathe after every run at big races, shaping brushes, water dipping breakin, direct wired batteries soldered into the car for every run to eliminate connector resistance. Lightened components, even tire and foam selection was partly based on rotating mass. Lightening tires and re-balancing them is NOT fun! cycling batteries on our $400 chargers, and having 8-10 packs of Nimh batteries (at ~$75 a pack, and you still had to assemble them) since the process between charges was exhaustive to keep the Ir low and the voltage high.

all this and i still missed a State championship by .2 secs.....

Stock hasn't really changed, if anything it is MORE fair and cheaper than it used to be. You guys that have only been in this a few years really have NO idea.

Stock being for new racers is a bit of a misnomer, it is a good class to start in, but by the time your skills develop enough to compete, either move on to mod, or do what is needed to compete.

Still comes down to driving though, if you need to be marshaled, all that $$ spent on making your car faster will still keep you behind the guy who does it clean.

That last paragraph was on POINT. I started racing 5 months ago, and one thing I've learned is you're always going to be faster than the guy that flips all the time. Now that I'm consistent, and don't crash more than once in a race, I'm focusing on equipment that can help me get faster. Sorry I can't relate to any brushed convo at all, haha.