R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Two ESCs, One Battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
lbenton
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwe
To be specific, I'm making a custom Rustler 4X4 and I plan to run it with two motors and two ESCs(sidewinder 3).
Since the ESCs will be the same product, shouldn't they both do LiPo Cutoff at the same time(3.2V per cell)?

What do you mean by "staging the ESC's to try and decrease the starting amps?"
For staging I think he means starting one slightly ahead of the other, not sure how to do that, but it is what I think he is getting at.

With the LVC, when you fire up a pair of 4-pole motors it might brown out the system or ripple the voltage. Just a lot more demand than a single motor. I am not sure if the LVC would see this and try to protect the battery.

Another simpler direction for the project might be to start with a stampede 4x4 and power it with 1:8 scale electronics. Would put down more power than any pair of castle 540s and be more straightforward. But then again, I get your idea about blazing a trail and doing something unique. But with a project also consider sustainability, if you have to fabricate a lot of it then you will be in a bind for parts support at some point.