R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Attending the Worlds as a Privateer?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
bucketboy
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Thats exactly what I am saying. I dont see how you can be a worlds level driver and some company hasnt noticed you. If your that good some company would have offered you something in the past. From a partial 50% off type to full ride. If your also that good I would figure some company would maybe even if only for the worlds assist you in getting there, and you slap a sticker on you car. You should have attended other high level events and have a pretty good idea of what to expect and take. Have you never traveled for a race before (overseas excluded). I dont own a travl trailer. All I have is my little hatchback. So basicaly if it dont fit it dont ship. Almost everything I need for a race from spares to radio to tires fits it a box that cost me only $75 to ship from Afghanistan the to U.S. (didnt have rc gear in it, but it wieght around 50lbs) The only thing I would need to get would be a table, chair, and pop-up if not provided. And come on if your attending a race of this caliber, that kind of stuff should easily fit in your budget.

My biggest point is, if you dont already know most of this kind of stuff, your probably not ready to attend a race of this level. And that has nothing to do with driving skill.
Just because someone is not sponsored doesn't mean they are slow, there are some very talented driver who have a life outside R/C they may not be able or want to commit the time to be a sponsored driver, also being sponsored ties you down what the sponsors want you to drive as opposed to what you want to drive, takes some of the enjoyment out of it don't you think.

By your reckoning then, unless you can make the A final ther no point in going, if thats not the case what would you concider the cut off, B final? C final? I know of a few non sponsored driver who occassionally beat sponsored drivers who have made the worlds and not brecause the sponsored drivers are having a bad day!

As for shipping, there is a world of differance sending stuff form serving members of the armed forces to either their home or to their base than there is sending stuff through commercial airlines to a storage facility in another country, from personal experience, customs can be a pain!

Fair play to anyone who wants to pay for the cost of travel, accomodation and R/C equipment, without them there wouldn't be sponored drivers or indeed R/C manufactorers.

Good luck Dan and Skiddins, doen't matter if you come first or last so long as you have a fun which is more than can be said for a driver who doesn't do as well as his sponsor had hoped.

Bb