R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC Crew Chief Software
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 AM
BobW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by musti72
Hi Bob,

What do you think about the fact that modern tc cars are designed in such a way that front end is about 187mm and rear is 185mm wide, even though max allowed width is 190mm?. This would increase lateral load transfer, something that we dont want in theory. What is the difference between theory and reality, that lateral load transfer is good for our little cars?
I think the width being less than the maximum allowed is more about providing options of running different wheels and tires than what is the norm. ROAR allows rubber wheels up to 26mm and tires to 28mm. The norm is 24mm tires so just running a wider tire at the same wheel offset and you can be at the chassis width limit.

As far as the width you should run IMO wider is better. I have no hard tire data to support this but I have to assume our tires behave the same way as full scale tires do. That means to maximize grip at a given lateral g level you want to keep the load difference between the inside and outside tires as small as you can. The only way to do that is to run the lightest weight permitted and maximize the track width.