R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM
snoopyrc
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ziggo
I'm running two SpecR-R1's in our VTA and Stock touring classes at my local club races. I retired my older SpecR-S1 and it is now my spare parts car. Because of this I have an extra gear diff to use as I wish. We race on a large carpet track with crazy amounts of grip. Both cars have a spool up front for now and I have been pretty happy with them. So my question is which car would benefit the most (if any) by switching the front spool to a gear diff?
I am running a Photon with the CEFX Evo kit and Spec-R Gear diffs front and rear. The car was built by Bill Sydor. (Someone whos building, set up and driving skills far outclass my own) Any way the front gear diff is very stiff, but not locked up like a spool. The rear is very free. Maybe moreso than a ball diff. I think the set up is a great alternative to having a spool up front as it does have some give to it. I guess that doesnt answer your question. I would put it in the VTA car as that little bit of give can translate to some corner speed where as the TC can power better out of the turn with the spool. Just my$.02.