R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 PM
CraigMBA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Jay you missed it. I did the "41 Double" today - spec mini at Hobbytown, spec slash at Madera Hobbies. Two races, in two counties, on two surfaces, at the same time, 10.5 miles apart. Can it be done?

Yes it can! Will I do it again?

Noooooooo!

Daniel showed up with his new M05, I ran the rent a racer. He tells me "you need to be at about 21.3 or so". I run two laps total before they close practice, and do a 19.5 Daniel hadn't broke in his motor yet, so he took me up on my offer of my "best" Johnson motor from my collection. We run the first heat, he thumps me by a lap running a quick lap 19.0 - with the motor I just gave him. My car is loose in two corners, and continues to want to randomly get on two wheels for no reason in spots it shouldn't.

I skip the second round so I can get the first round of qualifying in in the Slash, charge the mini and sauce at MH before driving back to Fresno to run the mini main. I changed the way I sauced the front from 3 inner ribs to 2, and buffed the rest of the tire with motor spray. We run the main.

The rent a racer is massively improved. Daniel leads for four minutes with me closing the whole time. He dots out, and gives me the spot, and returns the favor by chasing me down. On the last lap he put a move on me at the inner loop, we bumped, and I got the best of it and drove away unscathed. Two turns, hug the inside of the sweeper, and this bad boy is mine. Except, somehow I either got distracted, lost concentration, brain faded, or otherwise just shot the dog and dot out on the very last dot possible before the finish. Daniel wins. He ran a quick lap of an 18.8, I ran a quick lap of 18.9. We were never separated by more than 20 feet, it was a great race.

20 trucks for the first day of Stock Slash, I ran one qualifier and was P2. Made an aggressive pass on the leader on the first lap when I thought he had blown the corner, only to discover - nope! He had some massively unconventional line and I worked him. I recovered from dead last to get P3.

And, after 75 miles between tracks on 41, did not receive any law enforcement entanglements. I'm going to bed now.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 01-18-2014 at 08:33 PM.