R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM
gocoogs
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I will do my best to explain literally without the use of video or pictures as my car is at home and I am at work...

As I see it, the FFG moves 2 ways... laterally and rotationally. The way my FFG is now, If I were to take a 1.5mm wrench, stick it in the small hole near the front mount (as in JDs video) and move it manually laterally from center to left for from center to right, it stays on the left side of the gearbox casing if I move it left and it stays on the right side of the gearbox casing if i move it right. I would describe the feeling as "free and easy" to move it laterally, but it stays in the position I put it in ... it does not return to 'nuetral' or 'center' un-aided.

The second sort of movement the gearbox is capable of is rotational movement. as it stand now, my FFG moves with very light pressure down to the right or the left, but again, a manual movement on my part results in the FFG not returning to nuetral or center. If I manually push my FFG down to the right or to the left, its stays there. So if I press the right side of the FFG down, it stays down to the right... and the same is true if I press it down to the left. I can manually center it, and its easy to do, but in no way right now does it return to its original position without me manually putting it there.

Now... as I build the FFG, I observed 5 points where it rotates/moves and could have friction.

1) where the bottom of the FFG contacts the curved part of the gearbox casing... in the instructions it notes to use the '3m low friction Magic tape' to aid in reducing that possible binding area...I have done that.

2) where the bottom of the FFG contacts the top part of the gearbox casing and is exposed to friction in lateral movement. In my instructions there are no notes for remedies in that section, but based on my observations, that doesn't seem to be an area of concern or bind.

3, 4 & 5) where the carbon tube connects to the back of the FFG, the middle post and the rear mount. the front and rear points have small hex set screws that aid in securing the tube. According to what I remember reading in the instructions, they said to lightly score the tube to aid in the insertion of it into the mounts. I did that 'lightly' and i didn't feel it was free enough. (For reference, my definition of 'free movement' would be feeling the movement of the carbon tube inserted in the mount rolling it back and forth like you would an allen wrench starting a screw in a machined threaded hole). As a result of the lack of 'free movement' based on my definition above, i sanded the end of the carbon tubes more until i got the free movement I was looking for before tightening the set screws. I achieved that feeling after a little more sanding, and thought it would solve my issue.

As I have addressed all the points above as I observed to be 'friction points', I assumed the FFG would be free... but its not. Even when my set screws are completely removed, my FFG still remains 'static' once I move it into a position either laterally or rotationally. It is not 'elastic' in any way by returning to neutral unaided.

Now keep in mind, I haven't put force on it with a motor and maybe that changes things... but I wanted to get it right before I put it on the track. I hope my explanation is clear ?

Thanks,
Justin