R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF418
Thread: Tamiya TRF418
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
skyball
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cj72
My tb04 didn't require spacers on the 6 degree hub but did on the 4 degree carbon hub.
+1 I build the carbon 6° hubs (#54546!) into my TRF and the steering knuckles snug fit in there without the .7mm shim. So I added the shim on top of the hub to have the same rollcenter as with the 4° hubs.

I only drove the car once since I put the 6° hubs in and that was on a track I didn't know before, so I can't really tell what difference it makes.

Theoreticaly, as a general guideline, one could use a little less camber on the front with the 6° hubs. A little math will give a rough estimate of the order of magnitude. When the wheel is straight, there is no influence on the wheels camber by the hubs caster. At a steering angle of 90°, the caster would fully add to negative camber, so the camber would be 2° more negative on the outside wheel if it was "steered" at 90°. At my car I mostly limit the steering angle on the outside wheel to around 15° to 18°, which translates to a negative camber gain of .33° to .4° for the 6° hubs compared to the usual 4° hubs.

So from that theoretical view I would start out testing with about .2° (for a "middle" steering angle) less negative camber on the front axle compared to a "4° hub standard setup". But then again all that theory may help us nothing and we just have to find out about a good setting "empirically" ...

I'd like to hear about your experience with the 6° hubs, even if it comes down to "about the same performance", because I prefer the 6° hubs alone for the possibility to take out the cardans and their bearings without disassembling the steering knuckles.

Christian