R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM
BSCFlash
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluegroovelosi
I had this problem for weeks and thought it was just part of the break in process. Several guys at the track commented on how STIFF the front end was...how it wouldn't drop as fast as the rear end...not even close!

the first thing to check is whether it's the shocks at all. Take the shocks and sway bar off and see how loose everything is. Do the pivots have the correct number pivot in the correct position? Everything should slide up and down nice and easy...with virtually no resistance.

If the front end is tight (mine was), then crimping the plastic ends of the turnbuckles with pliers should mold the plastic to the ball studs. My front end got WAY looser after a simple squeeze of both turnbuckle ends.

Then I added the sway bar back into the mix. Tight. Again. The plastic '8' shaped connector got a squeeze with the pliers...nice and loose again.

THEN I put the shock back into their correct positions. Suh-mooooooth, baby!

Lesson learned: strip it down to the absolute basic moving parts, check for tightness or restrictions. Make sure the pivot points are the same number, in the correct position. Then add each moving part while checking for tightness until everything is back together and silky.

Robert Conner
Omaha, Nebraska
It is critical that you do NOT use the oil that comes with the kit (it simply doesn't have the quality control and tolerances). Use TLR oil and you will see that the front (and rear) is where it is supposed to be. This is a very common problem, and happened to my team. This advice came from Ryan himself (and supported by all the local pros)!