R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM
OptimumRC
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adamska27
The key here is that the plates hit the gear when they broke in. I have experimented with less than designed diff balls many times, in an effort to reduce spring pressure but diffs need to be broken in to work with any real amount of torque. Running less balls (hehe, ok grown up again) is an oooolllldddd pan car trick and nothing weird. Sometimes the diff spring (even new) is too weak to spread across so many balls (in a smoothness losing move) run 2 or 3 less and remove evenly around. I've been known to pull 4 out of 14 or 16.

The new gearbox looks fantastic. They say stronger plastic, one of my complaints with the 3 - 4 platform. Carbide diff balls in the kit -- great call. Durango gives you aluminum balls in the kit and they melt with a 7.5.

I hope the rings are keyed -- I get annoyed with having to ca them.

The reason you dump your 4.2 is easy -- this car looks fantastic -- they claim to have fixed all the things that sucked and were antiquated. The insert thing is just plain easy and smart, and the 5 positions in the rear is a nice touch. Finally, a new gearbox and proper metric hardware. The new slipper was great, leave it alone, the new turnbuckles and ball ends look great, the old AE ones (and the RPM equiv) were long overdue for an overhaul.

I'm willing to replace arms often in exchange for less weight, however it was a bit out of hand with the 4.2.

I have to say, it looks like they hit this one out of the park
I don't know why you would want to CA your diff rings in place?

An additional function they provide is a 'safe' place for the diff to 'give' before slipping the diff balls. An example of this would be when losi went away from D-rings in their XXX platform and have continued the trend of all the other good diff makers like AE to use non-keyed diff rings. I could see how this would be different though for on-road.