R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will a more expensive charger make a difference?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Radio Active
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Hi All,

This has probably been asked before, but I'd still like to ask the question of "will a more expensive charger make a difference?"

At the moment I'm using a Turnigy Accucel charger to charge 2 cell Nano Tech batteries to be used in F1, 13.5 touring car, and 21.5 touring car.
Will I notice a performance difference in the above classes if I use a more expensive charger, one that can charge at a higher rate of 1C, or would I be better off sticking with what I have now and use the money for other "upgrades" etc?

I'd like to hear about others experiences and/or opinions about the above before I buy anything.

Thanks,
Rob.
I have an older Eagle CDC Version 7 (their first charger to do LiPo), which was a top of the line unit. I also have an Imax B6 LiPro Balance charger, which is a cheaper unit.

The CDC consistently puts move capacity into the batteries. When the Imax finishes charging the pack I sometimes top it up with the CDC, and it will usually put in another 200 mAh, without being over voltage. The CDC also charges the batteries quicker, the current stays higher for longer, again even with the chargers programmed the same way. The performance difference can be exaggerated too if the pack is older and no longer performing at its peak. I've also had the Imax false peak without me noticing.

If I take 200 mAh out of a pack just charged with the CDC then there is no difference in how the batteries perform on track.