R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USVTA
Thread: USVTA
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM
mkiiina
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
IMHO, not to bash VTA but its probably the most expensive class to run; Motors, bodies, and tires all cost more per item then running other classes. Staying with a blinky/spec speedo keeps your cost down.

Tires: $50
Body: $25
Motor: $85

17.5 and USGT are both cheaper to run and faster .

Tires: $25-30
Body: $20
Motor: $50-60

What is biggest class at your local track? Run that class, it will be more fun.
I disagree on almost every item and I think you are comparing apples to oranges. My sedan goes through more tires, parts, and maintenance than my VTA ever has.

Initial cost for body and tires might be more but I am on the same VTA body for over 3 months and a similiar amount on my VTA tires. For sedan I am on a new set every month and a body every or every other month. Investing in a tube of shoe-goo and a dry wall tape is a good move.

Looking at A-Main the Novak 25.5 and 17.7 are the same price (and unlike 17.5 we haven't had the motor of the month club like 17.5 has).

Lastly, my spec sedan gets a ton more attention and maintenance with everything being checked/rebuilt. This leads to higher cost in replacement parts (worn/broken, tweaked).

To the OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit but wanted to set the record straight from someone who actually runs both classes (And did run USGT as well until it died off).

I would look at the f/s section for a T3 Xray for between $150-200 for a roller. Get the Hobbywing JuStock (~$50) for your esc (and you can later used it in USGT or 17.5 Blinky). Get either the Ballistic or Boss Novak (the SS is a good bit older and doesn't have any mechanical timing).

VTA is a great class and a blast to run. Check out the (long) threads on both.