R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 4 Cell Sedan Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 09:45 AM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally posted by JKA
The "fast" guys are always going to be fast. They are fast because they spend the most time trying to be fast or know the most tricks to get fast or lets face it... they are more talented than the majority of us.

To slow down cars as an attempt to "level the playing field" and thus make racing funner is counterproductive. Its just like Spec racing. Everyone pretends that Spec racing is more fair... especially to beginners and budget racers. This is completely wrong. When there are limitations placed on the main "go fast" components of racing the person that is more skilled and pays more attention to detail will have an advantage... just like normal racing but actually its more blatant with spec racing. Also the deep wallets can purchase large numbers of spec motors and batteries to hand pick the best few and then sell off the rest. Thus giving them an advantage of better equipment.

The whole "level the playing field" by limiting technology has been proven unsuccessful.

I can't wait to run my Mod TC tonight with 4 cells so that I can actually give a first hand opinion.
Very good points.

Also, since cars, batteries, radios, chargers and every single item has advanced over the years why is it the motor design that's the last to get the boot? It's obvious that the motor needs to be redesigned to handle the current technology and upcoming (LIPO!!!)

Brushless and new brush designs and/or motor designs are needed.

Racing is expensive, there's no way to make competitive racing "cheaper" it just doesn't work. Pan car and 1/12 are less technical "right now" since it's not the foucs of racing. I remember TCs when they didn't have 1,234.1 different adjustments. There will always be a money advantage in racing...just the way it works, but that it countered with driving.

all this bickering and electric off-road eliminates most of the complaints. You guys shoud get out and run some off-road. Less (or more realistic grip) is way easier on the motors.