R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 4 Cell Sedan Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 09:30 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by TimPotter
Not to get off topic here, but can some explain ( technically) why rubber tires are harder on carpet the foams. I would think it was the other way around, as Foams grip more.
Thanks
In my opinion there a a few ways to look at it... some leading to Rubber tires being most damaging others to foam.

I would be inclined to think that Foam tires using traction compounds such as paragon would be more damaging to the carpet since the compound is actually 'run in' to the carpet.

I honestly doubt either tire type is SIGNIFICANTLY more harmful to the carpet than the other.

That said, I'd still prefer foam tires because they really are less expensive. The only way rubber tires can be comparably priced is if there is a spec tire that must be used (ie. cs27). This makes the rubber tires more comparably priced to foams since you don't have to bother with different rubber and insert compounds and wasted time gluing. Foam tires are much less expensive than they used to be due to hot competition among foam tire manufacturers. A full set of Jaco's can be had for $27.