R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mod for my kids toy rc
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM
ModThis
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I kinda figured there wouldnt be too much on these.. I have had many r/c's since back in the 80's and am well versed in many respects.. However, I dont want to put 2 cars together for my toddlers to learn on. It would get expensive fast lol.

Well I guess for anybody who stumbles across this thread I can offer the few things ive changed on the car I have here which is as follows:

-Get some wire and make an antenna for the remote! The stock transmitter has a tiny wire inside and its placement has the signal being absorbed into yhe users hand.

-Remove and replace the stock ant wire on the car and extend it out and past the body. The range is already fairly short and because of this, there is an awful delay in throttle response when the car is beyond 5ft or so from the user.

-A couple of lead fishing weights to weigh down the front end of the car. When you accelerate the car has a very hard time steering as the little weight on the stock setup has the front lifting and no traction to steer. This is more of an issue when using indoors.

-A simple lm317 voltage regulator added to the remote. There is plenty of room for 2x 18650 in the base of the transmitter. Wire in series for 8.4v which the regulator is then setup to replace the stock 2xAA and supply a steady 3v.

A note on the stock batteries for the transmitter. The AA's measure 1.6v so 3.2v is okay, not sure if a fully charged li-ion at 4.2v would be too much though. One other possible solution would be to use a single 3.6v li-ion and a diode to drop off .8v. Again, the use of a single li-ion and diode is untested, so use at your own risk. As is, do not exceed 3.2v to the input of the transmitter.

I would highly recommend these cars for beginners.. They take a good beating and keep on going