R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 4 Cell Sedan Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 03:29 PM
thedominator
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by AdrianM
JKA - The main problem is we are roasting motors. I have seen comm slots bridged by strands of molten copper, blown winds due to molten epoxy, brush shunts and motor power wires unsoldering themselves, balancing epoxy flinging off due to insane RPM and centrifugal loads. You may not run inot this at club races but the motor guys at big races see this a lot when pros really push the limits. They know you can't just fix the motors. They have come as far as materials science and design can take them.

If you think the soultion to this is brushless motors you will be replacing one set of problems with another. Blown speed control fets (this is why there is no full mod Novak Brushless on the market yet), blown rotor magnets, demagnitized rotor marnets, shorted stator windings, etc.

How do you fix this? Reduce voltage and thereby reduce wattage output (heat) and reduce RPM. The reduction in wattage output is mitigated by the 4.5oz weight reduction.
I think brushless is the solution

The track i race at races a run-what-you-got class. As long as it is a touring car and has a tc body you are good to go. I have been racing a 5800 Novak system for over a year with no probs. For the price, it has really saved me big money while still allowing me to be competitive with all the people who have their own lathes and have to replace brushes all the time. It also eliminates maintenace which a lot of average racers would like.

Also about foams vs rubber, I think foams are the way to go. I made the switch from rubber to foams and couldn't be happier. Traction has been incredible. They do wear a little faster than rubber but a 11 bux a pair i'm not complaining and the added traction is well worth a little extra money.