View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Casper
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fordguru
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide

Can someone explain to me why these 2 links above contradict the 2.0 handling guide particularly on the Roll Center understanding? 2.0 guide says raising camber link in rear increases chassis stiffness? Thats lowering the RC giving more leverage to the CG giving more roll. I believe that to be true and is explained in detail in the first link. It also states that a longer link has less roll? Another contradiction for me. What am I missing? Trying to help my buddy with his 2.0 I read the 2.0 guide and was like WTH? I am fairly new but spent some effort on understanding of tuning options on 1.0/ MIP SCTE with these 2 links mostly and track time.
Ryan and I don't typically think of camber link changes as in there effect to roll center which has become all the rage lately. We think of camber links in terms of camber gain the tire sees through roll there are quite a few ways to skin this cat and different ways of looking at things to try and understand what all is going. Roll center is important and all and the theories of vehicle dynamics are there but you also have to understand not all of it is perfect and the dynamics of an offroad car with less then perfect traction can be different then those for a road car with exceptional grip.

Longer links in our experience make the rear end feel stiff with less chassis roll. Raising the inside pivot of the link (you can't adjust the outside up or down on the SCTE) gets a similar feel but changing the angle of the link can really change the dynamic (how the camber changes with roll or squat of the car) and make some interesting things happen. Ryan built the SCTE guide based off his 30 years of offroad experience and doing a lot of testing with the SCTE. Not saying the other guides are wrong in the end use them as what they are as guides. There are many different aspects of a setup in the front and rear settings of the car and how they interact with each other that determine a good or bad setup or what you want to change in a given situation. Now I know I did not really answer you question but looked to give you a different perspective on where the SCTE guide comes from. I have never sat down and looked at Roll centers to really start tuning based off there principles. I have always just looked at it from pure dynamic camber gain when tuning with camber links.