R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
AndrewTom
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bambambennett
The stock nylon gears will work for mod but has a problem. Nylon has a reduced surface friction than alloy but the problem with the nylon on nylon on nylon,and why an alloy idler is available, is tooth deflection. Nylon to nylon gear surfaces and heavy loads will cause gear whip(tooth deflection). This causes more drag in the trans and can cause premature wear. I dont recomend running an alloy idler mating to the alloy top shaft, this too accelerates surface wear. I run alloy top shaft to nylon idler to alloy idler to nylon diff gear. Way less drag this way and wear decreases.
I ran 13 or 14 races on the aluminum idler gear in 17.5 blinky. slipper was VERY tight, which is normal for 17.5. upon installing the MIP diff, i noticed the upper gear had significant wear, through the annodizing to the bear aluminum. the upper gear is still usable, but i replaced it anyways. idler was fine, no visual wear. i used the TLR balck grease, as the blogspot recommended.