R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 12-07-2013, 07:10 AM
bambambennett
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Are the stock plastic idler gears strong enough to handle 6.5-8.5 mod motors or are the aluminum versions a must? I'll need 2 if I'm going MM.

For the thrust bearings in a ball diff, can Mobil One grease be used instead of AE black grease? I might take a crack at building a ball diff. I was going to use a gear diff because I suck at building a long lasting ball diff, but it seems like everyone vouches for them.
The stock nylon gears will work for mod but has a problem. Nylon has a reduced surface friction than alloy but the problem with the nylon on nylon on nylon,and why an alloy idler is available, is tooth deflection. Nylon to nylon gear surfaces and heavy loads will cause gear whip(tooth deflection). This causes more drag in the trans and can cause premature wear. I dont recomend running an alloy idler mating to the alloy top shaft, this too accelerates surface wear. I run alloy top shaft to nylon idler to alloy idler to nylon diff gear. Way less drag this way and wear decreases.