R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Short length shock vs Long length shock cars
Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM
oeoeo327
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Lowering CG is good pro, but somebody tell me of short shocks has no advantage on running tight layout and low grip like our track.
If this is real, i am looking to convert my T4 using long shock mount in order have better handling.
Even keep the short shock but using 3 holes instead of 4 holes pistons.

Could somebody think if really worth?

Best regards
I'd experiment with changing the oil, spring rates, and bladders to adjust the dampening response before relocating the shock mounting points and changing the shock size, volume, and geometry. Dialing in dampening is one of the most difficult aspects of setting up an RC car, and learning how and when to make the changes takes a long time to learn.

If your running on a tight, bumpy surface, I'd try lighter oil and lighter springs to allow the tires to stay on the pavement. As you tune the car, gradually increase the weight of the oil until you stop seeing an improvement in lap times, or use the same oil and decrease the spring rate if the car doesn't have the grip you need. Once you've achieved a good baseline setup, you can start experimenting with pistons (# of holes and hole diameter).