R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Speedmerchant Rev.4
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 08:41 PM
odpurple
Tech Elite

hey Storm-
Like i said, I'm not really trying to get this particular car any lighter, just trying to understand why the pros cars seem to need lead when the cars don't look that light. There's just no place to lose big chunks of weight, so when you are dropping it by a gram here and a gram there that 792.5g weight seems a long way off. off course if I left the servopack off my car, as an example, it would be right down to weight (5 cell 160mah: 19g, not near an ounce, but a lot). But I see cars with packs installed and lead to boot, so...
Actually, the stock AE bulkheads are heavier than the Irs ones or the Niftech ones which I am using. But most of the weight is in the motor side, and I've never had a magnesium one to weigh so I bet there may be 4 or 5 grams available there.
That's interesting about the body weights, I've only checked a few. I tend to use too much paint so I probably have 4 grams or so too much there. I usually run a Speed 12 but I have an 8 here painted the same, I'm going to trim it and weigh it to compare.
I already eliminated the battery brace and made my own which weighs .7g compared to the stock one (3.5g).
Thanks for the input!
O'D

Last edited by odpurple; 12-24-2004 at 08:47 PM.