R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Wease
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmkalt
What size pinion are you guys running with the stock spur, 8.5 motor on a tight indoor track?

My ESC thermaled today after running hard for 5 1/2 minutes. Temp of the motor coming off was nice and cool (110) but the ESC was 155 on the case.
The one thing I wish XRay included in the manual is gearing recommendations. I assumed I could use the AE B44 as a base-line for gearing and for 3 different types of motor turns I was over-geared and thermaled my ESC as well. I had the same results with the motor coming off cool, but the ESC was on nuclear melt down .

I started out with a 7.5 and ended up settling on a 21 tooth pinion. For a 6.5 turn motor I settled on a 18 tooth pinion. On my current Reedy Sonic 6 turn motor I'm currently at a 17 tooth pinion. I would have gone to a 16 tooth pinion, but the spur isn't big enough to set the mesh correctly. It comes off pretty warm, but it makes 10 minutes without thermaling

I've not tried an 8.5, but I wanted to give you at least some information on which to based your gearing. If I were you, I'd start with a 22 tooth pinion and see how that feels.