R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Meradin
So, some of your recent comments about front diff oil got me thinking. Most setups I see are using 1mil or 2.5mil in the front. I did find that the lighter weight was a bit faster. I am going to stick with the 1mil for a while and see if I can learn to drive it as fast as my 500k. The pull out of the corner may make a difference.

I was thinking though as to what conditions would be better suited for each weight of diff. DFor example, I am not sure that it would do any good for me to copy someone else's setup as our track is drastically different than others.

We have a small track and I don't see us getting to the speeds other tracks may be seeing which would (in my mind) need a different setup.

There is a tickle in my head that says since the speeds are slower and the track smaller, with tighter turns, that a loose front diff would be better. I guess I am looking for a little validation on that thought. Does that seem to make sense?

Also, the carpet we use is indoor short nap carpet you would get in a home store, not specific to racing needs. Anyone have an idea on the traction level that is? I know it was better than the other track I raced on and they had the ozite carpet.
What your saying about the diff totally makes sense in my head too but i haven't been able to prove it on a consistent basis, for instance sometimes i like the 1 million on Huge outdoor tracks. This is why i think it has to do with simply how proper the set up is for that specific scenario, I think the better the car is set up, the lighter the front diff oil can be. If the car is working great it is settled in to the track, not unloading etc so you can get away with a lighter front diff and still have good drive. all speculation

Originally Posted by MD
Paul, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family from the Hadley R/C Club.
Thanks, you too!!. hope you guys are all well!

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Paul, on your IIC setup, you've got 4mm of bumpsteer spacers, which is the default asphalt setting. Hagberg's and default carpet setup are both 1mm. That seems like a big difference. Can you comment on why you ran it your way?

-Mike
Hi Mike, the 4mm is just something that i liked when we first tested the t4, honestly i just haven't gone back and tested it since. initially when i did it i felt like i got more steering in the center of the corner but im sure with different tracks it can go both ways.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!