R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Jammin X1 - so close yet so far
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
slrguy
Tech Adept

Default Comments on assembly

I've been racing 2 Sportwerks Mayhems since August. The Mayhem comes pre-assembled so this is my 1st buggy kit build from scratch.
Pros:
1. The quality of the parts is top rate. Fit and finish is 1st class.
2. The instructions are easy to follow.
3. I like the part #s shown for each part on each step. This makes it easy to locate a particular part.
4. Most parts are beefier than my Mayhem. A arms and rod ends are particularly stout.
5. I REALLY like the springs for the brakes pads. These are little springs that fit between the calipers on the quad brake system that force the calipers away from the discs when you are not on the brake. AAA++++ for that one.
6. The fuel filter is top rate with an included center stone type filter instead of the more normal screen type.
7. The included OFNA Ripper tires fit perfectly on the included OFNA rims. This has got to be the best fit of any tire/rim combo I've tried to date.
8. All aluminum parts are hard coated.

Cons:
1. The numbered bags bear no relationship to the building instruction. Other manufactures, most notably XRAY got it right with bagging parts that correspond to the instruction level.
2. Instead of a free radion bag, give us pre-mounted Ripper tires. Most of us already have a radio bag. Mounting tires is a pain and I can never get the balance as good as the factor pre-mounted tires.
3. The "B" version of the throttle servo linkage needs work. The parts don't fit together properly. The center to center distance of the holes in part #3080 is different than the servo arm it mounts to and requires modification.
4. The manual is stapled together and looks like a last minute effort.
5. There are no part numbers listed for optional parts like the threaded hinge pins, the one piece engine mount, the different diameter sway bars, the threaded hinge pins with the relieved area to reduce friction or the optional rear toe-in blocks.
6. There are no setup recommendations. Not all of us are expert racers. It would be nice to have a discussion of the adjustments available on the X1 Pro and how they affect handling. The Mayhem manual has this.
7. The rear body hold down post should have the body clip hole oriented perpendicular to the chassis center line.
8. The battery compartment should be longer to accommodate 5 cell flat packs. 5 cell flat packs help keep CG lower.
9. The tuned pipe stinger guard is an after thought. It should have been designed into the left stone guard. I had to reposition it to fit my particular engine, pipe configuration.
10. The antenna pipe has to be upgraded. It's too stiff and just isn't up to the quality of this buggy.
11. The O ring for the spring adjustment ring is too tight. This make adjusting ride height a real pain. If you turn the ring by itself, you're likely to turn the entire shock body, loosening the cap in the process.

I have'nt run the X1 pro yet but hope to on Sunday.