R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Take-Off Tire Inserts??
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2002, 11:39 PM
Corse-R
Tech Elite

Default Re: FYI

Originally posted by seaball
by the way. i just assembled a full set each of 27's and 32's. i also have full sets of the preglued. the one's i assembled, with the stock inserts, seemed very roomy inside when compared to the preglued. i used cross dish wheels and the factory uses cross 12 spoke so i doubt the wheel geometry is at all different. i wasn't that concerned till a few days ago. i burned through the 27's in a hurry as a result of the air gap. the inside developed a groove, and eventually a slice, just between the end of the belting and the vertical sidewall. i am not pleased. castor and camber are all in check. i am leaning toward the idea of poor production tolerances. maybe back to the sorex/hpi combo again. just an fyi.
Uhm! your problem seems to be a sum of little things that in the sum ends in a tyre destruction like you say, lets see:

- The groove inside notates a too soft insert. The car distorted the insert and the tyre don't have the support of the insert. Maybe your track seems to be high bite and quite twisty.

Seems too like you used to much camber. The result of using too much camber goes to the situation I pointed before.

I suggest to use less camber and possibly changing your camber rod position to get more camber when the wheel is compressed, this helps to not need to use much camber at the first travel of the suspension.

I used many sets of tyres and they're pretty worn. To use 'air gap' you need to use a firmer insert than used before (check with firmer insert).