R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Erasus
Tech Initiate

Red face

Originally Posted by jlavador
Coming from years of offroad racing, I bit the bullet and got a D3. I also got the recommended upgrades; Front One way spool, wide angle front drive shafts, belt tensioner, spur stiffener, Is there anything else you guys reccomend?
Hi there!

I recommend to get a couple spare belts for each location (front, middle, rear, of course) and also a set of springs, to have some more tuning options, as the stock ones are pretty darn soft and are barely able to hold the front up!
Just make sure to buy springs that actually fit, not like me, who bought this 3Racing Spring Set For #M03M-13/LB/V2 #M03M-13/V2/OP. They are way to short!

I see you already have spur gear support plate and spur gear adaptor? Good choice!

I personally had some serious issues with the stock plastic pulleys on the D3. They kept shredding the front and center belts, until I changed them to 3Racing aluminum ones (.rcmart.com/3racing-3rac3py13-aluminum-center-pulley-gear-p-35716.html?cPath=595_1419_1566). Since then my belts hold up nicely.
Though i havent read much about it by other people, so it could be just me. They are (the stock plastic pulleys) ,however, pretty soft and dont have very high teeth compared to the aluminum ones. It seemed like they were kinda bending and the belts startet skipping teeth. One pulley even started to melt, so.... yeah.

Also nice to have is a bag of each 1mm, 2 mm and .5mm washers (.rcmart.com/3racing-aluminium-flat-washer-20mm-3racwf320pk-p-31775.html?cPath=595_1419_1566 for example).
With these you can swap the plastic shims on the lower suspension arms, which adds bling and reduces friction. You can also put these under the upper deck to gain a few more millimeters for your lipos to slide into the battery tray easily without scratching the surface of your lipos, and much more. Very handy and good looking!

I had some problems with sloppy front belts, so i swapped the stock plastic 13t pulley with an 14t aluminum one. Works for me.

Also worth consideration are aluminum wheel hubs (.rcmart.com/3racing-wheel-adaptor-sakura-zero-thick-3racwx125pk-p-32192.html?cPath=595_1419_1566), as the stock plastic ones crack pretty fast. I destroyed all 4 of mine within my first attempt to drift. I kid you not!

I think, that are the ones I personally would consider as mandatory upgrades, from here on out everything else is just plain hop up.

Please take everything I say with a grain of salt, it could have just been me screwing things up so that those pulley and wheel hub failures eventually happened to me.

best regards

Era

Last edited by Erasus; 11-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.