R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Big race, spec tire for stock 1/12
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
How many 12th scale stock racers out there bring several different compounds to a club race ?

Just curious
I would like to see a wider view of how you guys roll, more than what I have seen locally, or at the only Big Race I have witnessed first hand such as the IIC

...and yes I know the thread title refers specifcally to a Big Race spec tire
As race director I don't have a lot of time to make setup changes let alone tire changes so I stick to a known tire that I run every race.

For big races (IIC) The first couple of years I went I bought tires at the track and tried different compounds. But I found that I needed to concentrate more on getting the track down (driving) with a setup that is close enough than to spend time fine tuning and potentially ruining a setup. So I started just getting 1 tire combination for the entire week and sticking with that.

Originally Posted by racer034life
Coming from someone thats getting back into rc car racing starting in 1/12 is harder then lets say WGT or 17.5 TC. Set-up in 1/12 has way to many factors. So if you make a spec tire great...im all for it. But happens when i get good and want to move up in a class? Will im buying different compounds! So whats the point cause know im behind all over again.
I find there are enough knowledgeable people out there that I usually have the setup and tires down before I even leave for the event. From there I may make a few minor tweaks here or there but I find I don't make much changes because I need more time to concentrate on my driving than on the setup.