R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM
hitcharide1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Engines, locked out suspension, bodies, vintage pan cars (300's), etc.

If there were RULES you would not have to keep going over this stuff again and again...

Something you should also keep in mind is that once basic rules are set, exceptions can be made at the club or regional level. As a club Cincinnati allows locked suspension cars in their club races, no problem. Toledo decides to have the GLC Pan class run Sedan Bodies. All they have to do is inform potential racers on the race information that that is the rule and the individual racers can decide to run or not.

What's so difficult about that?
You're killing me, Ned.

The Roar rules apply. Technically, a locked out suspension car would be legal under the rules, and club consensus has been to this point to allow the locked out suspension car but not allow it to compete for points. We can do whatever we like at the club level, but at the series level, the rule book is in full force, IMHO. Any waiving of rules at that point can be handled nicely by either the race director or the series director. The only thing we're going over again is bringing people up to speed who are getting into the hobby, and frankly, it's a little kinder for us to do so rather than just refer them to a rule book. If there is a part of the rules that you don't like, or a new rule you think necessary, we can discuss it in this forum or elsewhere, then submit the change to ROAR for modification. It's like that with engines, currently...it's run what you have, but if our membership decides otherwise (like cost or 3 port) then we submit that and have it promulgated accordingly. And we've discussed THIS issue over and over again as well, and I still don't see a problem!

I recommend to all interested parties; during the off season, take some time to look up the existing rules concerning 2wd nitro in the ROAR rule book. Let's have a deadline of January 1st for consensus, and at that time, we'll put in a request to ROAR to add/delete/modify whatever rules we think need help. And I'll start the ball rolling with my thoughts:

1. Engines. No changes needed.
2. Bodies. Run what you like, but existing rules concerning cut outs and so forth apply.
3. Chassis. My opinion is still that the "suspension plate" on WRC and Moto is illegal, but they are the only real manufacturers at this point, most people are running their products, and the consensus has been that it is not suspension. Since the ROAR rules don't speak about it and because the consensus is clear, we continue as we are.
4. Fuel capacity/weight/foam tires/etc. all apply as written.
5. Vintage vs. classic vs. current. Doesn't really apply. To my knowledge, Tom and I are the only ones running a vintage on any basis. They all passed according to the rules in the past and still pass now, nor do we have such numbers as to support splitting our class. If some guy shows up with a '72 Heathkit, that's just peachy by me, since I doubt that guy will have any advantage.
I don't know what the "vote" was on pan guru, but I suggested Lon Sr. If he'll be so kind as to weigh in on this and give some direction to it, it'd be appreciated....I'd like to hear Rick weigh in as well given his experience with all types of pan over many years. I'm happy to go with whatever the group decides, but my vote is let things be as they are and keep it simple.