R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"
Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Silverexpress
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by archerwin
Hi! After failing at building my first ball diff, I followed this guide and it solved my diff barking problem after rebuilding it! Thanks a lot.

Just a question, I'm running stock motor and when I follow your procedure in setting the slipper clutch I can't get the frot wheels to go up to about 3 inches. I tried tightening the slipper clutch already but after a few tries my motor became very hot and some smoke started to appear (good thing I stopped as soon As I saw this, my motor is still good).
So what I did was to just tighten it so that it doesn't slip when I throttle and hold both wheels.

I checked the diff and i think it is tight enough (when I hold the right wheel and spur gear, the left wheel can't be rotated w/ moderate force). The diff is smooth when I do counter rotation on the wheels too.

Did I do something wrong? Or is this expected for a 17.5 motor (=no wheelies)?

Thanks
Hi. Sounds like your motor is geared to high. What make and model is this, and what spur and pinion teeth are you using?