R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 AM
CristianTabush
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
That's interesting news, coming from someone who does a lot of testing on other brands
Perhaps you just nailed the setup perfectly the first time out ?

I don't know if one car is faster than another at our track, the BD7 just has a very intelligent, durable design imo, and it's at least as fast as anything out there
Please, take my comments with a grain of salt. I don't think my word is the final authority by any means, but my findings were almost too good to be true. Speculation is exactly why I qualify my statements.

This past week I tested the BD7 in less than "perfect" carpet conditions. Grip was at about 85% and my lap times were consistently 2 tenths faster than with my RX4. The RX4 was by far the best set-up car I had driven on our track until this week. I have been fine tuning the set up for several months and on the particular layout all of last week I worked on a vast array of conditions to get the car really good. My fast lap was a 9.55 or so. I could hit 9.7's pretty regularly. This was on fresh rubber and with tons of track time. Track conditions were pretty good as well. I also must add, I only run mod.

The Yokomo I received Monday night and I hit the track on Tuesday evening. Ran 2 packs through it with mostly standard parts. I hit consecutive 9.6's for the first time with the layout and I had never had a perfect lap. On Wednesday, I focused on adjusting 1 thing at a time to learn about the car. I also installed some optional parts and carbon arms. Some adjustments made me go in the wrong direction, some made me get better. As I slowly started heading in the right direction I started noticing how much quicker the car got around the twisties. The car carried more corner speed and was easier to drive fast around the track. By the end of the night I was starting to hit tons of 9.6's, but the car was still not perfect. On Thursday I just made a few geometry changes and started going backwards. So I reverted a bit back and went to thicker diff oil. The car went from being a 9.6 car to a consistent 9.5 and a few 9.4's A bad lap was now a 9.6. All this was also on old tires, which made it more impressive as the Sorex 28's we run are much faster on the first 2 runs. The BD7 is easier on tires I think. With Sorex 28's, you get a lot of overheating and squealing on carpet, the more you squeal, the harder the car is to drive. The XRAY tends to squeal slightly more, which is why it probably needs new tires, with a hard sidewall to go faster.

The car for me generates better forward thrust than the T4. It gets from point a to point b better. This might not be as noticeable in stock, but in mod, it's huge. The car is also faster in smaller radius sweeping corners, where it digs into the track better. The XRAY requires a bit more finesse in this type of corner.

It is important to say that the BD7 probably requires sharper reflexes than the XRAY. It is more responsive, which probably is a better fit for me.

Both cars are fantastic, and in the right hands, both can be winners. However, racing mod, the BD7 is far more at home and it is more effective in achieving consistent fast laps at our track, with the tires we use. We do keep developing our T4 everyday. Now we have a higher benchmark in house with the yokomo to chase after.