R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Protoform Stratus 3.0
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 PM
daleepp
Tech Addict

Default PROTOform Stratus 3.0

This is to answer a few questions and seen on this thread and the other " new Protoform body" thread.

WHY ANOTHER STRATUS? - simple, its a cab forward car. Makes for good handling while maintaining a semblance of realism.
No - the car doesn't have NASCAR Dodge headlights. Other than being a couple of mm shorter and lower, they are the same as the 2.0 headlights
Yes - I did fudge a bit on the front end detail. The real Stratus has a total of 7 cavities and grill openings. IMHO it was a little much, so I purposely left off the lower grill opening to get a cleaner look. I couldn't imagine anyone cutting all those decals anyway.
The (red) wing in the photos is actually even with the roof height however the spill plates are .062 too high. The wing in the photos is cut to the IFMAR/ROAR 20 x 40 mm height and cord length rule. The wing is molded a little oversized to give a tuning option to the novice thats racing on an unprepared surface.
Yes - the truck lid is low. Ironically, its virtually the same height as the Parma Alfa
The white wing in the one photo is the optional PROTOform molded wing.
Yes - the body is light in weight. Trimmed identically, it is 90 grams and the Parma Alfa I weighed was 93.7 grams
No - the trunk is not lengthened. Same as 2.0 & true to scale.
I left the side windows large because that is what many pro racers told me they liked.
This body was not a knee-jerk reaction to the competition. I simple thought that the Stratus could be improved for carpet racing. The Japanese companies offer A,B, & C versions of many bodies that are optimized for different track sizes and surfaces
This body does not reflect any of the shapes I have recently seen on any of the competitions newer body styles. The pattern was finished in August and them I went to the Worlds in late Sept. and I actually saw my first Parma Alfa in late Nov. at the Cleveland US Indoor Champs.

Proline is going to be shut down next week for their annual one week Christmas holiday. I know this will kinda mess with the shipping schedule on early orders.....but, thats the time of year we're in.

Have a very Merry Christmas! - Dale Epp - PROTOform